Production class question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Production class question

Default Production class question

Am I reading the RA rules right? It looks like they crossed out the multipliers for 3+ valves/cyl. Would that mean you could race an old 1.8L AWD NA Impreza in the Production class?

1800 x 1.3 = 2340

For some reason, I thought you had to run 2WD for Production class, but I can't find any rule to that effect. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Production is 2wd only. I haven't looked where it says that but it does.

Quote Originally Posted by rallymefree View Post
    Am I reading the RA rules right? It looks like they crossed out the multipliers for 3+ valves/cyl. Would that mean you could race an old 1.8L AWD NA Impreza in the Production class?

1800 x 1.3 = 2340

For some reason, I thought you had to run 2WD for Production class, but I can't find any rule to that effect. Thanks!
    If you'll look up the bulletin on Rally-America.com I think you'll find the reasoning behind the decision(s). It wouldn't surprise me that a 2-liter, normally aspirated AWD Subaru would now be legal in Prod. Some mention was made years ago about old 1.8 Justys being legal for the class but questions about a small engine turning all that drive line gear apparently left no one interested in pursuing that particular "AWD advantage."

Neither AWD nor turbos are specifically outlawed in RA's Prod classes but displacement multiplied by stock performance enhancers will move some cars into the PGT class.
    Halley (WB5SQC) ...
    YouNameIt

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Production is 2wd only. I haven't looked where it says that but it does.
    Methinks you're thinking Group 2 ...

And Group 5 for that matter.
    Halley (WB5SQC) ...
    YouNameIt

Default AWD in rallycross

Rallycross rules are slightly different and there's a separate Stock class for FWD and AWD. One of the arguments I have with the rules is that there is no displacement multiplier for engine size. In stock AWD drive all engine displacements are lumped together: you could be running an AWD Justy, N/A Impreza or WRX and still be legal if you meet all the other criteria.

Justies are 1.2l, not 1.8l. YUCK

Nobody was stopping anyone from running the older 1.8l and smaller 2-valve 4wd Subarus in Production. Did any masochist ever actually attempt this?

As for rallycross, that's a different beast altogether... vehicle weight seems to matter more than vehicle power or number of wheels driven.

Quote Originally Posted by P Remner View Post
    Justies are 1.2l, not 1.8l. YUCK
    1.2?!? YUCK indeed. I must have missed that day of Subaru History class ...

If ever I scare up another Citroen Mehari I'll have to find someone with a Justy and challenge them to a YUCK-off and see which is the most anemic!
    Halley (WB5SQC) ...
    YouNameIt

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post
    ...If ever I scare up another Citroen Mehari I'll have to find someone with a Justy and challenge them to a YUCK-off and see which is the most anemic!
    (Get ready, I'm going to join Bernie in the kettle thing...)

or a New Beetle!

go here:
    http://rallyscoring.com/results/resu...2DetailUS0.htm

and check out times on ss2 (almost 30 minutes, its a long one) then look at car #13 (Justy) and see who he's running with and against that event!

This is another demonstration of why people shouldn't get so hung up on equipment. Alcaraz made the difference, not the car.
    www.randyzimmer.com
    NEXT?
    RallyCross is Kool

Quote Originally Posted by P Remner View Post
    Nobody was stopping anyone from running the older 1.8l and smaller 2-valve 4wd Subarus in Production. Did any masochist ever actually attempt this?
    Jamie Thomas ran a 1.8 FWD Impreza in Production before switching to PGT. (...have no idea about the masochist label--more like patience and a realistic plan, I'd say.)

In 2007, she was 10th O/A at Oregon and 13th O/A at Olympus. The somewhat-sluggish Subaru was arguably a good stepping stone.
    Last edited by gravelgeezer; 01-22-2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by randyzimmer View Post
    (Get ready, I'm going to join Bernie in the kettle thing...)

or a New Beetle!

go here:
    http://rallyscoring.com/results/resu...2DetailUS0.htm

and check out times on ss2 (almost 30 minutes, its a long one) then look at car #13 (Justy) and see who he's running with and against that event!

This is another demonstration of why people shouldn't get so hung up on equipment. Alcaraz made the difference, not the car.
    HEY! Don't be hatin my old ride! 3100 pounds and 115 horsepower is the envy of any rally car!

I couldn't agree more with your "people shouldn't get so hung up on equipment" comment. Check out SS5 of the Trespassers Will Rally here - http://www.rallyracingnews.com/ra/100aw05-res.html - and you'll see that a downhill stage, a driver who knows his heavy car and is therefore unconcerned about tackling a !!! LWB can claim 2nd fastest overall stage time ahead of names like Wall, Olson, Rhodes, Malsom, Himes, Keeney and Pritchard!

And then there was a 3rd fastest 2WD stage time to wrap up Maine 2001 (when I was still PISSED about a flat smack-dab in the middle of the longest stage of that event). Rally is about who gets to the finish controls in the least amount of time and neither power nor outright speed is necessarily the way to accomplish that.
    Halley (WB5SQC) ...
    YouNameIt

+ Reply to Thread