John K. Shiirley
    Clerk of the Course
    2005 Manistee Forest Rally

NASA Rally Sport East

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Default RE: 2005 Manistee Forest results

Why was the attendace so low? Did every one have to go to a wedding that night. :)

It is a shame the 2003 Caddilac forest rally team could not get the forest permits to run a rally. CFR was a great run rally, with a good turn out. I think it was best Club rally of that year.

>Why was the attendace so low? Did every one have to go to a
    >wedding that night. :)
    >
    >It is a shame the 2003 Caddilac forest rally team could not
    >get the forest permits to run a rally. CFR was a great run
    >rally, with a good turn out. I think it was best Club rally
    >of that year.

Well, there was one obvious conflict for me. MFR was scheduled the same weekend as Press On Regardless. Let's see....700 miles of fun and challenging roads over two days or <50 miles in an hour or two? Entry fees were comparable - but my priorites will be with POR for the foreseeable future.

The organizers of MFR ought to have a look at the Detroit Region's rally schedule before defining their date. I would have been willing to support, one way or another, had it been on a different weekend.

Scott
    www.teamharco.com
    Team Harco Motorsports
    "Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

The organizers, at the time, had to go along with the Forest Service as to date. The organizers could do nothing about it.

The date next year will be different, taking into account everything, and the organizers will include new folk.

The Forest Service still argues for September for their own purpose, but understands, and will likely go along with, the rallyists desire to move the date.

The event proved the new organizers to the Forest Service, which was a heartily felt need, and built something where nothing would otherwise exist.

Previous organizers, workers and competitors of Michigan rallies are invited to join in, I'm sure. It's great to have summer rallies in Michigan again, particularly for we only 7 hours away!

Onward and upward !!!

Tony and Mary

I want to thank all the folks who did turn out, both to compete and to work. Some new folks showed up and helped make the event, and some veteran workers also came. One expressed the sentiment that it did not matter to him who got permits or sanctioned the event; he just wanted it to happen.

I don't personally believe that there was any intent to be in conflict with POR; that being the case, it's understandable why many folks in the area were torn and preferred to go with supporting a classic event. Let's hope any future conflicts can be avoided, both in terms of dates and in terms of who gets the permits, who sanctions it, etc. The Cadillac area and its roads are just as great for rallying as they have been for the last few decades. It was good to be up there again, to meet and work with all the people who did come, and to see the event happen.

Regards,
    Mark B.

Edit: OBTW, I posted a brief synopsis of the roads in the NASA Rally Sport forum (under 'Manistee Update 3'), for those who are not from the area and might be interested.

+ Reply to Thread