Aluminum Esslinger Ford 2.3 head [Archive] - SpecialStage Forums

: Aluminum Esslinger Ford 2.3 head

Kartwheel
05-01-2002, 03:13 PM
Esslinger racing, famous for Midget sprint engines and for making the aluminum head that Jack Roush used on the XR4Ti in Trans Am to make 800+ HP is going to produce a new "stock replacement" Ford 2.3 head. It will bolt up exactly using all stock manifolds and gaskets only it will have the ports and combustion chamber of the race head with some compromises for fitting the stock stuff. It will have FAR better flow than the stock head and will not be prone to cracking like the stock iron head. It will sell for $1500 with valves, springs, keepers, all you do is put in your cam and followers. This same head, but with custom manifolds is currently making 800+ HP on turbo 2.3 drag cars, no NOS, so I know it can flow.

My question, probably John V. can answer, is this head a better deal than going YBT? I know it will be a couple seasons or more before I need to worry about more power, I'm interested from a budgeting point of view how much more everything for a YBT swap would cost, and in light of this new head is it worth the trouble? For the sake of not doing "buisiness" here, just say which one is the better overall value regardless of $'s spent.

John Vanlandingham
05-03-2002, 09:28 AM
Brian, if the stock manifolding will bolt up, and they have said it will then it can't be too different to the stock head.
Now the stock head, while gut wrenchingly nauseatingly UGLY, is iron and horrible, this head will be a liitle bit better ports maybe and weigh 1/3 the weight, but the very fact that it is free with ever 2.3 motor AND it is stable as the block can be looked at as a big advantage. Expands at same rate as block making headgasket issuses easier.
It's the the manifolding that's really horrible so if thats the plan, then the only advantage is the weight. And that it's new and not beat on for 100,000 mile before you get it.

Now as a comparision of the motors 2.3 to the YBB/YBG family, the XRs 2.3 has the following good points:
Stock forged pistons
Big oil pump
Cheeeep!
YBB/YBG has the following points:
WorldChampionship Rally winning performance with Eprom, injector, wastegate acuator changes only thanks to being a real homologation
motor that Ford intended from the beginning to be both GpN and GpA competitive, hence stock
Steel Crankshaft
Forged Mahle Pistons
forged steel flywheel with 9 bolts
properly sized turbo for 300-330bhp with 38mm restrictor
properly sized intercooler stock

It was cometitive against both GPA and WRC Subarus EJ20, Mitsu G63, The Toyota, all of which must have substantial expensive reworks to be reliable for the clubman IF they are going to make similar power and torque.
So if the YBs are reasonably priced, and they can be, then it's one of those cases of buy it now and don't worry about it because it has such a wide margine of saftey in it.
This answer the question?

PS Eric Eaton has a NEW head and a set of NEW std bore pistons on rods laying around collecting dust (on my shelves oddly enough) which would be the max that I would think about putting into a 2.3.

John Vanlandingham

Topi
05-03-2002, 11:04 AM
- John pretty much said it all but here a little more info:
- Roush had 16V 2.3 aluminum head, at least the last version, when Pruett did driving (I took a pic of it). The manager Lee White said:"Made in England" but didn't say by who. It was quite interesting engine; All coolant was routed OUTSIDE from the block to the head (closed deck block & head?) and it had a special coolant passage to every exhaust valve area!
- Rudi Eggenberger did a few GrA Merkur 2.3 turbos with an iron head. They run well in European Championship, had 500+HP and didn't blow up. So, the iron head can't be that bad...There's one with "D" ports and that looks pretty good.
- Esslinger aluminium heads are very popular among oval racers. It's easy to modify manifolds to them, no need to use "stock location".
- Cosworth in Los Angeles can still get Aussie built A200 Cossie blocks for $ 1400 or so. Brand new and they come with 94mm bore. These engines can be bored out to 96mm w/o sleeving. There's 5 2WD Sierras using them and they get 330HP without turbo...
- So what to use: Pinto 2.3 if $$ is a issue, otherwise the Cossie is by far more potential.
PS. Esslinger 800HP Midget drag engine was 1/2 ready at the Internatinal Auto Saloon (2 weeks ago).
- GM "EcoTech" drag team was there too; One engine had 700HP and the other 600HP. Both had run and all parts will be available from any GM dealer soon...Enough for rally?

Kartwheel
05-03-2002, 03:14 PM
John,

>So if the YBs are reasonably priced, and they can be, then
>it's one of those cases of buy it now and don't worry about
>it because it has such a wide margine of saftey in it.

>This answer the question?

Yup, that answers it for me. Like I said, I have other priorities ahead of HP, namely cage (got that covered), REAL suspenders, big brakes, and lower final drive/LSD, probably in that order.

Speaking of the Cosworth intercooler John, do you get the real Cosworth short radiator or do you have one made here? Do you use the smaller standard RS intercooler or the huge RS500 radiator size one?

Topi,

I did not know Cosworth had any N. American presence. Is the L.A. location for Cosworth a "retail" type thing or is it to service the Indycar stuff they do for CART? Could one get YB parts there if they were needed?

Thanks for all the info.

John Vanlandingham
05-03-2002, 06:16 PM
>John,
>
>>So if the YBs are reasonably priced, and they can be, then
>>it's one of those cases of buy it now and don't worry about
>>it because it has such a wide margine of saftey in it.
>
>>This answer the question?
>
>Yup, that answers it for me. Like I said, I have other
>priorities ahead of HP, namely cage (got that covered), REAL
>suspenders, big brakes, and lower final drive/LSD, probably
>in that order.
>
>Speaking of the Cosworth intercooler John, do you get the
>real Cosworth short radiator or do you have one made here?
>Do you use the smaller standard RS intercooler or the huge
>RS500 radiator size one?
>*******
Brian, I have the OEM cossie rad, but I ain't no fool, I have no intention of going out there with plastic end tanks with those integral mounts.
dimensionally, you can get all metal SAAB 900 rads and you are so close its not even funny. Get the twin fans off the Saab 900 turbos and with the standard M18 radiator fan switch which VW/Audi, SAAB, Fiat, GM Europe use and you'll have a huge choice of fan on/off temps stamped in the side on the flats of the hex.
I have the 90-92 4x4 intercooler which is as wide as the rad, amd boxy and deep.It's 5"x4 1/2"x 19
For you,the standard 2wd intercooler will be just fine. It's good for 300bhp so ought to be good for the standard XRatty. It's 4" x4"x19".
And there just happens to be a couple laying around, just next shelf over from Eric Eatons head.

>
>Topi,
>
>I did not know Cosworth had any N. American presence. Is the
>L.A. location for Cosworth a "retail" type thing or is it to
>service the Indycar stuff they do for CART? Could one get YB
>parts there if they were needed?
>
>Thanks for all the info.

****I'll answer this one cause I have gotten parts from them. OK prices, availability only for the '2wd' motor, but they will order things.
Helps if you have the part number.

Most of the normal sensors, leads, gaskets, bearings, belts, etc are already in stock at some f***ing looney place in Sleezattle, I think you know the number.

John Vanlandingham
All power to the Pro-le-ralliat

Kartwheel
05-03-2002, 07:05 PM
>dimensionally, you can get all metal SAAB 900 rads and you
>are so close its not even funny. Get the twin fans off the
>Saab 900 turbos and with the standard M18 radiator fan
>switch which VW/Audi, SAAB, Fiat, GM Europe use and you'll
>have a huge choice of fan on/off temps stamped in the side
>on the flats of the hex.

You need to write a book...no make that a "CCCP Manifesto" of all these bits of good rally information and sell it as "Rally for Dumbies". I'll put some of my college History degree writing skills to use and edit it for you, we'll make a mint.

>I have the 90-92 4x4 intercooler which is as wide as the
>rad, amd boxy and deep.It's 5"x4 1/2"x 19
>For you,the standard 2wd intercooler will be just fine. It's
>good for 300bhp so ought to be good for the standard XRatty.
>It's 4" x4"x19".
>And there just happens to be a couple laying around, just
>next shelf over from Eric Eatons head.

Not that it matters, but for visualization purposes...the IC goes above and in front of the radiator, but does not go down in front of it? Is a long thick "brick" style IC a better heat exchanger than a radiator shape thin one like the OVLOV or SAAB 9000? I dont know much about them, but I guess it doesnt make much difference what shape it is so long as the surface area is large enough.

>****I'll answer this one cause I have gotten parts from
>them. OK prices, availability only for the '2wd' motor, but
>they will order things.
>Helps if you have the part number.

I've always wondered, what is the difference between the 2WD and 4WD Cossie engines? I think the 4WD were set up for unleaded, but is that the only difference?

>Most of the normal sensors, leads, gaskets, bearings, belts,
>etc are already in stock at some f***ing looney place in
>Sleezattle, I think you know the number.

Yeah, who said all the "nuts" rolled downhill to California? ;)

John Vanlandingham
05-04-2002, 08:05 AM
http://images.merkur-xr4ti.com/PDRM0696.JPG

John Vanlandingham